Have you ever made cookies with coconut oil?

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made cookies with coconut oil as a substitute for butter or oil? Just curious to see if the cookie comes out the same way! I am always looking for ways to bake a little bit healthier, and thought coconut oil is a great alternative.

Reaction score
I haven't yet, but I'm sure it'll be the same taste-wise. If you're unsure, try a half-and-half mix of whatever the recipe originally calls for and coconut oil. There are hundreds of recipes out there that do call for coconut oil in the first place, so why not give them a try?

Here's one to get you started: Super Moist Banana Bread by Chez Us, one of my go-to sites for uncomplicated, yummy recipes. Enjoy!

Reaction score
I have not attempted to bake with anyone outside my already tried and true ingredients. I have looked at various recipes that call for something other then I use and thought about making them. I don't see using a different type of oil would hurt the cookies or taste. its worth trying to see.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information! I will definitely give it a try and let you know how it turns out! I am finding there are so many uses for coconut oil and it's so much healthier! I will keep you updated!

Reaction score
I haven't made cookies with coconut oil, but I have made brownies with it. They tasted amazing! I've started substituting coconut oil into a lot of my general cooking too. It definitely gives it a much better flavor.

Reaction score
I have tried making cookies with using coconut oil instead of butter. I'm sad to say that they did not turn out right. They were crummy and not very yummy :(

I have, however, had success with substituting half butter for half coconut oil. Try this and see if it works for you :)

Reaction score
I have made cookies using Artisana %100 Organic Coconut Butter instead of regular butter and they came out pretty good. Coconut Butter is actually coconut oil and made it into butter, but you can still see some of the oil floating on top in the jar. It's way healthier than regular butter and adds that delicious coconut flavor to your cookies. You should give it a try!!! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Coconut butter? I've never heard of such a thing! At first I thought you said "cocoa butter," and I was confused (even though that's an interesting idea!). I wonder how they make the coconut oil into butter; do they just churn it for a very long time?

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet but I am not pretty sure about it. I have had chips fried in coconut oil and the aroma of the oil was making it difficult to eat. Since then, I never really though about using the coconut oil and in cookies, no way.

Reaction score
I only use coconut oil if the entire recipe is based around a healthy diet. Personally I don't think they taste the same as using butter but they are still equally delicious. Try it out and let us know how it goes!

Reaction score
I have and they came out very nicely. They do taste different though, so make sure the people who are going to be eating the cookies all like coconut as it has a distinct flavor that can't really be covered up.

The biggest difference between coconut oil and butter when you work with it is that you can cream butter, but coconut oil is either solid or fully melted, so your batter will be a little softer while you are mixing it with melted oil.

Reaction score
My co-worker makes most of her baked goods and cooking stuff in general with coconut oil because it's suppose to be better for you than regular oil, and she has said that the texture and the taste doesn't come out any different. I always feel like I would taste some of the coconut and that itself would ruin the dessert for me, but a part of me wonders if it's just because I KNOW there's coconut oil in it.

I think I'll give it a try at some point though because I honestly would like to start cooking more with coconut oil.

Reaction score
If you are going to try substituting with coconut oil, make sure that the cookie would taste good with the flavor of coconut. I would not try making something like a peanut butter cookie with coconut oil because it would taste funny. Coconut oil does taste and smell like coconut when you cook and bake with it.

Ask a Question