Unsalted butter and Milk vs water

Reaction score
Hi everyone, may I have two question related to donut ?

1. What is the difference between using milk and water for mixing the dough? What it effect to the dough?

2. What are the effected of unsalt butter to the donut?

thank You

Reaction score
in commercial donuts we used water and full fat hi-temp milk powder . never liquid milk.
the problem using butter, besides cost, is it shortens the life of the oil in the fryers, you get better mileage from your oil by using shortening in the dough.

Reaction score
Hi there! Great questions! Let me break it down for you:

1. Milk vs. Water in Donut Dough:
    Using milk instead of water can make a noticeable difference in the texture and flavor of your donuts. Milk adds richness because of its fat content and gives a softer, more tender crumb. It also adds some natural sugars and proteins that help with browning, so you'll often get a slightly golden color and a bit of extra flavor. Water, on the other hand, will make the dough lighter and chewier, but you might miss out on that richness that milk provides.
  2. Effects of Unsalted Butter:
    Unsalted butter gives you more control over the salt level in your recipe, which is why many bakers prefer it. In donuts, unsalted butter will still provide all the richness and tender texture you're looking for. The lack of salt means your donuts might taste a bit more neutral, but you can easily adjust that by adding a pinch of salt to the dough to balance things out.
Hope this helps! Happy baking!

Reaction score
Hi there! Great questions! Let me break it down for you:

1. Milk vs. Water in Donut Dough:
    Using milk instead of water can make a noticeable difference in the texture and flavor of your donuts. Milk adds richness because of its fat content and gives a softer, more tender crumb. It also adds some natural sugars and proteins that help with browning, so you'll often get a slightly golden color and a bit of extra flavor. Water, on the other hand, will make the dough lighter and chewier, but you might miss out on that richness that milk provides.
  2. Effects of Unsalted Butter:
    Unsalted butter gives you more control over the salt level in your recipe, which is why many bakers prefer it. In donuts, unsalted butter will still provide all the richness and tender texture you're looking for. The lack of salt means your donuts might taste a bit more neutral, but you can easily adjust that by adding a pinch of salt to the dough to balance things out.
Hope this helps! Happy baking!
Thank you 🙏🏼 so much for you kindly respond, it look like you have plenty experience of making. So could you please tell me one more what kind of milk should I use cos I still to test it.

Ask a Question