Need help with oven proofing bread dough with moisture, covered or not?

Reaction score
I typically proof my pretzel roll dough in the oven for about 30-40 minutes.
About 15-20 minutes before I put the dough in the oven, I turn on the oven light and then put a pan of the hottest water I can get out of my tap, which is about 130 degrees.
That created a nice steamy warm moist environment for the dough.
My question is,
I usually put the glass bowl containing the dough covered with plastic wrap in the warmed moist oven and I wanted to know if it should be covered or left uncovered to rise?
The recipe I use calls for 1 - 1 1/2 hours for the dough to double in size while sitting on the counter. The dough rises nicely in the oven and only takes about 30 to 40 minutes until the dough is pressed up against the plastic wrap. The dough comes out so soft. Will the texture change if I leave it in the moist warm oven uncovered?
Thanx in advance.
The Fishman.

Reaction score
Dough needs to be covered in order not to create a dry crust that will hinder your dough from expanding. I cover my bread but I don't use plastic, I brush a little bit of olive oil on my bread and then I cover it with a clean cotton kitchen towel. Works like a charm every time.

Reaction score
Thanx for the reply.
another question, Even if the inside of the oven is steamy from the hot water in the pan below the bowl?
Thanx again.

Reaction score
Thanx for the reply.
another question, Even if the inside of the oven is steamy from the hot water in the pan below the bowl?
Thanx again.
dough is never covered in a steam proofer,
but at home it all depends whether you can get enough steam.
its easy to tell the difference, if the dough has a skin after proofing its a bit too dry in the oven.
or..if you touch the dough and it sticks to your finger, you have plenty enough, add heat.
but if you can't keep enough steam going just seal it with plastic and forget the steam.

Reaction score
I typically proof my pretzel roll dough in the oven for about 30-40 minutes.
About 15-20 minutes before I put the dough in the oven, I turn on the oven light and then put a pan of the hottest water I can get out of my tap, which is about 130 degrees.
That created a nice steamy warm moist environment for the dough.
My question is,
I usually put the glass bowl containing the dough covered with plastic wrap in the warmed moist oven and I wanted to know if it should be covered or left uncovered to rise?
The recipe I use calls for 1 - 1 1/2 hours for the dough to double in size while sitting on the counter. The dough rises nicely in the oven and only takes about 30 to 40 minutes until the dough is pressed up against the plastic wrap. The dough comes out so soft. Will the texture change if I leave it in the moist warm oven uncovered?
Thanx in advance.
The Fishman.

The purpose of relative humidity in a proofer is to prevent dough from drying out and forming a skin without the need to cover it.

The ideal proofing conditions are about 83°F with 85% relative humidity.

A humidity meter with a built-in temperature gauge is relatively inexpensive and can assist in setting up your oven for proofing.

Keep in mind that finding the right balance of temperature and humidity in an oven can be challenging, as every oven retains heat differently. In my experience, my oven temperature usually stayed in the high 80s, occasionally reaching the low 90s when I achieved the correct humidity level.

If creating the ideal environment proves too difficult, you can simply cover the dough container with plastic.

Ask a Question