Made delicious whole-grain bread, but the crust is so crispy, almost burned

Reaction score
I used a recipe I got here, 2 cups flour, one cup grains. It's dense, which is what I asked for. Now, I thoroughly sprayed the bread pan with spray oil, and probably need to reduce the time a little (45 minutes at 450) but if I reduce it much, the heavy dough won't be done. It barely rose anyway (1/2 tsp yeast). What can I do differently? Thanks all!

Reaction score
reduce the grains, switch to hi-gluten flour, add a bit of sugar for the yeast.
don't make a hard dough, it should be supple otherwise it can't rise..
its not about recipes, they are just a guide, its about feel and knowing what feels right in the mixing stage.

Reaction score
I used a recipe I got here, 2 cups flour, one cup grains. It's dense, which is what I asked for. Now, I thoroughly sprayed the bread pan with spray oil, and probably need to reduce the time a little (45 minutes at 450) but if I reduce it much, the heavy dough won't be done. It barely rose anyway (1/2 tsp yeast). What can I do differently? Thanks all!
Whoopsie, I wasn't clear. My question wasn't about the rise, it was about the "crispy, almost burned crust." Actually, the bottom of the loaf really was burned. What can I do to get a soft crust?

Reaction score
reduce sugar/honey or turn the heat down to 360.

but my question is, why didn't you remove it from the oven before it burned, if your answer is because it wasn't done in the middle then see my first response.

so its one of or all of the reasons, dough too dense, too much sugar or too hot.

Ask a Question