How to make soft ice cream

Reaction score
Is there an additive that I can use to make it easier to scoop ice cream straight from the freezer?
The type of sugars used determines the freezing point, which determines the texture and softness of ice cream. Google science of ice cream and sugar types.

Reaction score
Thank you for that and you are quite tight. I did a search as you suggested and found that there are many different sweeteners and they can affect the softness of the ice cream.

Reaction score
Absolutely, getting ice cream to scoop easily right out of the freezer can sometimes be a challenge! Here are a few additives and tips that can help make your ice cream softer and easier to scoop:

1. Glycerin: This is a common ingredient used in commercial ice creams. Glycerin helps to lower the freezing point of the mixture, making it softer. You can add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of food-grade glycerin to your ice cream base before churning.
  2. Corn Syrup: Using corn syrup instead of regular sugar can help create a smoother texture because it prevents ice crystals from forming. You can replace part of the sugar in your recipe with corn syrup (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on the recipe size).
  3. Alcohol: Adding a splash of liquor (like vodka or rum) can lower the freezing point and keep the ice cream softer. Just a tablespoon or two should do the trick, as too much can affect the flavor and texture.
  4. Xanthan Gum: This is a thickening agent that can improve the texture of your ice cream. Use about 1/4 teaspoon mixed with your dry ingredients before adding liquids. It helps create a creamy texture and prevents ice crystals.
  5. Milk Powder: Including non-fat dry milk powder in your ice cream base can enhance creaminess and help with scoopability. About 1/4 to 1/2 cup should be sufficient.
  6. Let it Sit: Lastly, if your ice cream is too hard right out of the freezer, let it sit at room temperature for about 5-10 minutes before scooping. This can make a big difference in how easily it scoops.
Experimenting with these additives can help you find the perfect balance for your homemade ice cream. Happy scooping! Get more info.

Reaction score
Thank you Jessie for this information which is exactly what I was looking for.
The only problem is the right quantity for the amount that I make. I usually make 1lt at a time.

Ask a Question