Helping with timing of making wedding cake (just for cutting)

Reaction score
I offered to make my brother and his fiance a small (8") wedding cake for cutting and pictures (they are serving guests other desserts). We are both GF so he was excited I was willing to do this and he didn't have to pay high premiums at a GF bakery.

He gave me some flavor requests so I am planning on a GF coconut 2 layer cake with raspberry filling and lemon american buttercream. I'm planning to decorate with food safe edible pressed flowers (grown from my garden).

I am planning to do a trial bake and will be replicating similar timing of how I would have to do it the week of the wedding. i work full time so don't have days to do this in one go.

my plan current plan would be : (Wedding takes place Sat evening)
Tuesday: make raspberry puree, put in fridge
Weds: make buttercream; put in fridge.
Thursday: Make coconut cake; plastic wrap, put in fridge.
Friday: (Travel 2 hours to venue early afternoon) : crumb coat in am? Venue can store in the fridge for us from Friday until needed.

There will be a lot of family members to see so I would like to avoid putting together the entire cake on Saturday.
My questions are:

1. Should I put cake layers in fridge or freezer post-bake until i am ready to do the crumb coat? (So Thursday night until Friday am)
2. Should I do final frost layer prior to us leaving on Friday? OR Frost while we are there on Saturday?

3. Should I add flowers prior to leaving on Friday? OR add flowers when we are there on Saturday? How to adhere the flowers?

4. Do i have to worry about the cake sweating? (and if so, how to avoid?)

The better I can get this timing worked out in my head the less stressed I will be!
Any tips and advice much appreciated!

Reaction score
I offered to make my brother and his fiance a small (8") wedding cake for cutting and pictures (they are serving guests other desserts). We are both GF so he was excited I was willing to do this and he didn't have to pay high premiums at a GF bakery.

He gave me some flavor requests so I am planning on a GF coconut 2 layer cake with raspberry filling and lemon american buttercream. I'm planning to decorate with food safe edible pressed flowers (grown from my garden).

I am planning to do a trial bake and will be replicating similar timing of how I would have to do it the week of the wedding. i work full time so don't have days to do this in one go.

my plan current plan would be : (Wedding takes place Sat evening)
Tuesday: make raspberry puree, put in fridge
Weds: make buttercream; put in fridge.
Thursday: Make coconut cake; plastic wrap, put in fridge.
Friday: (Travel 2 hours to venue early afternoon) : crumb coat in am? Venue can store in the fridge for us from Friday until needed.

There will be a lot of family members to see so I would like to avoid putting together the entire cake on Saturday.
My questions are:

1. Should I put cake layers in fridge or freezer post-bake until i am ready to do the crumb coat? (So Thursday night until Friday am)
2. Should I do final frost layer prior to us leaving on Friday? OR Frost while we are there on Saturday?

3. Should I add flowers prior to leaving on Friday? OR add flowers when we are there on Saturday? How to adhere the flowers?

4. Do i have to worry about the cake sweating? (and if so, how to avoid?)

The better I can get this timing worked out in my head the less stressed I will be!
Any tips and advice much appreciated!
i would bake and chill the cake and filling ahead, then assemble the day before with fresh made buttercream. its just a 8 inch cake, no drama.

Ask a Question