Help! Thick & Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies?

Reaction score
Hi all!

New here, but I wanted to see if I could get some recommendations. I’m a chocolate chip cookie lover & have been searching the longest for a thick but soft CC recipe. I’ve tried many but they always seem to come out flat :(…… I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to keep a CC cookie thick & soft (slightly undercooked). OR if you have a recipe that would be great! I’ve a attached a photo for reference of what my ideal chocolate chip cookie would look like (texture & shape). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8199.jpeg
    IMG_8199.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hi all!

New here, but I wanted to see if I could get some recommendations. I’m a chocolate chip cookie lover & have been searching the longest for a thick but soft CC recipe. I’ve tried many but they always seem to come out flat :(…… I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to keep a CC cookie thick & soft (slightly undercooked). OR if you have a recipe that would be great! I’ve a attached a photo for reference of what my ideal chocolate chip cookie would look like (texture & shape). Thanks!

The cookie in the photo is raw in the center. As such, it is probably not safe to eat due to potential salmonella in the egg, and E. coli and salmonella and raw flour.

To make a thicker softer cookie, use a significantly higher percentage of light brown sugar to white granulated sugar. White granulated sugar causes spreading and produces a drier crisper cookie.

Use an unbleached, higher protein, flour, such as King Arthur flour. bleached lower protein, flour, such as Gold Metal produces a thinner, crisper cookie.

Do not cream butter at room temperature. better should be 65°F or colder. Google serious eats cookie science: why cream butter and sugar for a full explanation on how to properly cream butter.

Chill cookie dough for several hours, or up to 24 hours before baking

Reaction score
The cookie in the photo is raw in the center. As such, it is probably not safe to eat due to potential salmonella in the egg, and E. coli and salmonella and raw flour.

To make a thicker softer cookie, use a significantly higher percentage of light brown sugar to white granulated sugar. White granulated sugar causes spreading and produces a drier crisper cookie.

Use an unbleached, higher protein, flour, such as King Arthur flour. bleached lower protein, flour, such as Gold Metal produces a thinner, crisper cookie.

Do not cream butter at room temperature. better should be 65°F or colder. Google serious eats cookie science: why cream butter and sugar for a full explanation on how to properly cream butter.

Chill cookie dough for several hours, or up to 24 hours before baking.
Thank you much! These are really helpful tips. :)

Reaction score
omit the baking soda, thats what causes the dough to spread.
a bit of baking powder wouldn't hurt that cookie, its so dense it can't bake.
its closer to a choc chip scone than cookie.

Reaction score
omit the baking soda, thats what causes the dough to spread.
a bit of baking powder wouldn't hurt that cookie, its so dense it can't bake.
its closer to a choc chip scone than cookie.
Very interesting that you recommended this! I just made a new batch yesterday based on the other users recommendations and it worked & didn’t spread! The only thing I’m trying to figure out now is that the outer part of the cookie was crispy. I think the “corn starch” that I made included might be the cause of this?? I wish I just knew or had a recipe to have a thick cookie that’s soft on the outside as well.

Reaction score
Very interesting that you recommended this! I just made a new batch yesterday based on the other users recommendations and it worked & didn’t spread! The only thing I’m trying to figure out now is that the outer part of the cookie was crispy. I think the “corn starch” that I made included might be the cause of this?? I wish I just knew or had a recipe to have a thick cookie that’s soft on the outside as well.

cookie made with white sugar will go hard faster than with brown.

Reaction score

For a softer cookie, use a bleached, low-protein flour. This type of flour bakes lighter in color and creates a more tender crumb.

Flours like Gold Medal or Pillsbury, which are bleached and have around 10.5% protein, are preferred by some bakers for shortbread, sugar cookies, thumbprint cookies, spritz cookies, jam cookies, some cakes since they don’t brown as deeply and produce a more tender texture.

White Lily, with about 9% protein, is another bleached, low-protein flour similar to pastry flour. Its lower protein content results in a lighter color and an exceptionally soft crumb, making it the preferred choice for biscuits, white cakes, sponge cakes, and some cookies, including shortbread.

When bleached flour was banned in the EU and other countries, bakers faced significant challenges in producing their most prized cakes. Bleached flour, particularly cake flour, is prized for producing high-rising cakes with a tender crumb and light color. Without access to bleached cake flour, bakers struggled with cakes that were denser, had a significantly lower rise, a tougher texture, and a darker color.

When comparing different flour brands, you will notice some include malted barley. Malted barley contains enzymes that convert wheat starch into simple sugars. In yeast doughs, these sugars feed the yeast and aid in browning. In non-yeasted doughs and batters, they contribute to browning as well. For example, a high-protein (around 11.5%), unbleached, and malted flour like King Arthur Flour will yield a deep brown crust, denser crumb, and a lower rise. This type of flour is well-suited for drop cookies (such as chocolate chip or oatmeal), rolls, certain breads, and some cakes (like carrot or hummingbird cakes) and most quick breads.

When a very light crumb and color are needed, such as for a chiffon cake, cake flour is essential. Cake flour is always bleached, never malted, and very low in protein, around 8%.

In general, the rule of thumb is to use bleached, low-protein flour for tender, lighter-colored baked goods, and unbleached, high-protein flour for richer, darker-colored, and chewier baked goods.

Regarding leavening agents, baking soda does not create significant spread. Even if you added a full tablespoon of leavening, the spread would not be significantly more than a cookie with no leavening.

Reaction score
I have no skin in the game for this recommendation but Baker Bettie has some very good chocolate chip recipes on her web site. She has one section called "The science of the chocolate chip cookie" which talks about all the functions of the ingredients. It is a good read.

Reaction score
Hi all!

Do a google search for "Holy Cannoli" cookies. It is by far the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've found, and I think I've tried every variation out there. The recipe calls for ricotta cheese that keeps the cookie chewy on the inside. They'll be crispy on the outside, and if you chill the dough, they'll stay nice and high.

Do you have a gas or electric oven?

Attachments

• cannoli-cookie.jpg
    cannoli-cookie.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question