Custard disaster

Reaction score
I think I am I am incapable of making Stella Parks custard-based cream cheese frosting from Bravetart. It is also on the Serious Eats website. The link goes to the recipe. I had never made custard before, so I burnt it the first time. Tonight, I was very careful to watch the heat. The instructions say to cook it on medium, but I had to turn down to medium-low to keep it from sticking to the pot too much once it started thickening. When it started thickening, I made sure to keep whisking. When it starts bubbling the recipe says to whisk it for 2 minutes to dissolve a protein in the egg yolks. However, I could not tell if it was bubbling because I was whisking. I stopped long enough and it was bubbling. From that point I whisked it for 2 minutes as directed. It was SO thick. I have a picture I am attaching that I made of it to show the texture. It is very gelatinous and not creamy at all. I don't know if that is correct. Also, it smelled a little strange - not eggy but just odd. I could not imagine mixing it up with some butter and cream cheese. I was not happy with it so I tossed it. Could someone tell me if it looks right (for future reference) and if not, what I did wrong?

Attachments

• 1000004861.jpg
    1000004861.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
I think I am I am incapable of making Stella Parks custard-based cream cheese frosting from Bravetart. It is also on the Serious Eats website. The link goes to the recipe. I had never made custard before, so I burnt it the first time. Tonight, I was very careful to watch the heat. The instructions say to cook it on medium, but I had to turn down to medium-low to keep it from sticking to the pot too much once it started thickening. When it started thickening, I made sure to keep whisking. When it starts bubbling the recipe says to whisk it for 2 minutes to dissolve a protein in the egg yolks. However, I could not tell if it was bubbling because I was whisking. I stopped long enough and it was bubbling. From that point I whisked it for 2 minutes as directed. It was SO thick. I have a picture I am attaching that I made of it to show the texture. It is very gelatinous and not creamy at all. I don't know if that is correct. Also, it smelled a little strange - not eggy but just odd. I could not imagine mixing it up with some butter and cream cheese. I was not happy with it so I tossed it. Could someone tell me if it looks right (for future reference) and if not, what I did wrong?
err.. thats more like a roux ,
you either forgot the sugar , way too much starch or half the milk is missing,.

Reaction score
I remember putting all that in, but I am wondering if I put too much corn starch. I measured it by weight, but I have heard that regular digital scales don't measure low weights very well. The amount was 1.5 oz or 1/3 cup. I probably should have measure the 1/3 cup.

Reaction score
I remember putting all that in, but I am wondering if I put too much corn starch. I measured it by weight, but I have heard that regular digital scales don't measure low weights very well. The amount was 1.5 oz or 1/3 cup. I probably should have measure the 1/3 cup.

Reaction score
yeh just measure 1/3 cup and weigh it for cross reference.
Thank you.

Ask a Question