Bakers Big Head

Reaction score
It can’t be just me. I’ve noticed throughout the 30 plus years that when training a baker from scratch, they will a lot of the times get the attitude that they know (all of a sudden) a better way (which takes twice as long) to do something. Or they change the recipe. Having no training prior to this job, I’m constantly running headlong into these situations. I even let my wife train the last baker & came out with the same results. Example, to make twist, cut dough in circle ( 2 minutes), roll with both hands with tension. Allow it to twist upon itself. Pinch end and lay on screen10 min.). Instead I get;
cut circle (4 min.), roll into hot dog, lay in pile until all look the same (7 min.).
Take from hot dog pile & roll into twist, creating pile #2 (10 min.)
Take pile #2 (laying on dough board & one by one, place on screen. (Approx. 10 min.)
I know that some will say, they are untrainable but I don’t see the signs early on that indicates that they untrainable. Most have good attributes and attitudes. I train the right way, slowly and methodically and see that they do it correctly. Within weeks they rearrange everything like it’s furniture in their living room. This last one doesn’t want to budge. So, is anyone else experiencing these type of problems?

Reaction score
My boss was open minded, he said every baker has their own style and develop their own methods, if you want I can show you mine. Which I always said yes , because I didn't know squat and he was a master.

I show the finished product and always keep one on the table for reference, the only constraint is time and the finished product has to be identical. Then I leave them alone. They either get it , with a bit of coaching when needed , or they don't. They find my methods are the best, not because i say so, it proves by results.

if anyone starts changing recipes, they're done, they have an ego problem and I would make that clear from the very start.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating and common issue in training. It's definitely challenging when you’ve got a well-established method and new team members insist on tweaking things, especially when it results in inefficiencies or inconsistent results.

One thing to consider might be having a discussion about the importance of following established processes and the impact of deviations on overall workflow and product quality. Sometimes, it helps to explain the reasoning behind the method, not just the steps. For example, if the established method saves time and ensures uniformity, showing how those benefits impact the final product and the overall operation might make the process clearer.

Also, incorporating some form of feedback or review system might help. After the training period, you could have a check-in to discuss what’s working and what isn’t, allowing for some flexibility but still maintaining control over the essential steps. This way, new bakers might feel their ideas are heard while also sticking to proven methods.

Training is always a mix of teaching and adapting. It’s not uncommon for people to want to put their own spin on things, but it’s crucial to balance innovation with adherence to practices that are proven to work. It might take some trial and error, but hopefully, with open communication and a structured approach, you can find a middle ground that works for everyone.

Ask a Question