A question for you all!

Reaction score
Hi.
I am an extreme novice in baking, but I want to ask from all you bakers what your thoughts are on some niche flours. For example wheatgrass, mungbean or chickpea flour.
Does this interest bakers, would they use this type of flour?
I am trying to ak bakers and see if there is a demand for this?
Your input would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hey there! Welcome to the wonderful world of baking! It's great that you're curious about niche flours.

While wheat flour is definitely the workhorse for most baking, us bakers love to experiment with different flours to add unique flavors and textures to our goodies.

Of the ones you mentioned:

Wheatgrass flour isn't super common in baking. It has a strong grassy flavor that can be overpowering. It might be interesting for savory crackers or focaccia but use it sparingly.

Mung bean flour is a great gluten-free option! It has a neutral flavor and can be used in pancakes, waffles, or blended with other flours for breads.

Chickpea flour (also called gram flour) is another fantastic gluten-free choice. It has a nutty flavor and can be used in savory dishes like Indian pakoras or flatbreads like socca.

There are also other interesting flours like oat flour, spelt flour, or rye flour that can add wonderful textures and flavors.

If you're interested in trying these flours, I would definitely recommend starting with small batches and looking for recipes specifically designed for them. They'll absorb liquids differently than wheat flour, so it's important to get the ratios right.

Ask a Question